Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hinter jenen dichten Wäldern Weilst du meine Süßgeliebte Weit ach weit, weit ach weit! Berstet ihr Felsen, Ebnet euch Täler, Daß ich ersehe, Daß ich erspähe Meine ferne, süße Maid!
- by Josef Wenzig (1807 - 1876), "Sehnsucht", appears in Slawische Volkslieder, in 1. Böhmische Volkslieder, Halle, first published 1830 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Sehnsucht", op. 49 (Fünf Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte) no. 3 (1868), published 1868, first performed 1870 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
- by Alexander Winterberger (1834 - 1914), "Sehnsucht", op. 59 no. 8, published 1877 [vocal duet for 2 female voices with piano], from Zehn deutsche und slavische Volkspoesien für 2 Frauenstimmen mit Pianoforte, no. 8, Leipzig, Kahnt [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Yearning", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , title 1: "Desiderio", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nostalgie", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Hunkering", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2003-11-05
Line count: 8
Word count: 30
Di là da quei folti boschi sei tu, mia adorata, lontano, ah, lontano lontano...! Fendetevi, rocce, sollevatevi, valli, che io la veda, che io la scorga, la mia lontana, soave amata!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2007 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Wenzig (1807 - 1876), "Sehnsucht", appears in Slawische Volkslieder, in 1. Böhmische Volkslieder, Halle, first published 1830
This text was added to the website: 2007-04-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 31