Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich will hinwegziehn übers weite Wasser, Und Kunde, wie mir's geht, erhältst du keine. Zum Zeichen will ich einen Stern dir lassen, Wenn er verfinstert wird, dann, Liebste, weine! Und wenn er ganz sich wird verdunkelt haben, Dann weine, Kind; dann hat man mich begraben.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 60.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 125 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Friedrich August Naubert (1839 - 1897), "Ich will hinwegzieh'n über's weite Wasser ", op. 14 (Sechs Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 5, published 1880 [ voice and piano ], Kassel, Voigt [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "I shall travel off over the wide waters", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Je veux partir sur la vaste mer", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2020-12-09
Line count: 6
Word count: 45
I shall travel off over the wide waters, And you shall receive no tidings of how I'm faring. As a sign I shall leave you a star, When it darkens, then, beloved, weep! And when it has been completely extinguished, Then weep, child; for then they have buried me.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 125
This text was added to the website: 2020-12-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 49