Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
War schöner als der schönste Tag, Drum muß man mir verzeihen, Daß ich sie nicht vergessen mag, Am wenigsten im Freien. Im Garten war's, sie trat heran, Mir ihre Gunst zu zeigen; Das fühl ich noch und denke dran Und bleib ihr ganz zu eigen.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Poetische Werke, Band 2, Berlin, 1960, page 106.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Chinesisch-deutsche Jahres- und Tageszeiten, no. 7 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Albert Hermann Dietrich (1829 - 1908), "War schöner, als der schönste Tag", op. 12 (Fünf Lieder von Goethe) no. 3, published 1861 [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Canzonette", 1835, published 1836 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Adolph Bernhard Marx (1795 - 1866), "Aus Chinesich-deutsche Jahres- und Tageszeiten", op. 2 no. 10, published 1830 [voice and piano], from Zwölf Gesänge, no. 10, Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Wendelin Weißheimer (1838 - 1910), "Sie" [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (J. Lee Riccardi) , "Song from Faust", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Elle était plus belle que le jour le plus beau", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Canzonetta", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
She was prettier than the prettiest day, and so one has to forgive me, because I cannot forget her, especially outdoors. She came into the garden to show her kindness; I feel it still and think of it and remain totally hers.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by J. Lee Riccardi, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Chinesisch-deutsche Jahres- und Tageszeiten, no. 7
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-07
Line count: 8
Word count: 42