Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wüßt' ich, wüßt' ich, daß du mich Lieb und wert ein bißchen hieltest, Und von dem, was ich für dich, Nur ein Hundertteilchen fühltest; Daß dein [Dank hübsch]1 meinem Gruß' Halben Wegs entgegen käme, Und dein Mund den Wechselkuß Gerne gäb' und wiedernähme: Dann, o Himmel, außer sich, Würde ganz mein Herz zerlodern! Leib und Leben könnt' ich dich Nicht vergebens lassen fodern! -- Gegengunst erhöhet Gunst, Liebe nähret Gegenliebe, Und entflammt zu Feuersbrunst, Was ein Aschenfünkchen bliebe.
1 Agthe, Haydn: "Danken"
See also the other Gegenliebe.
- by Gottfried August Bürger (1747 - 1794), "Gegenliebe", appears in Lyrische Gedichte, first published 1789 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Christian Agthe (1762 - 1797), "Gegenliebe", published 1782. [text verified 1 time]
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Gegenliebe", WoO. 118 no. 2 (1794-95). [text verified 1 time]
- by (Franz) Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809), "Gegenliebe", Hob. XXVIa no. 16 (1781/4). [text verified 1 time]
- by Johann Abraham Peter Schulz (1747 - 1800), "Gegenliebe", published 1782, Berlin: Bey George Jakob Decker, Königl. Hofbuchdrucker [text not verified]
- by Johann Xaver Sterkel (1750 - 1817), "Gegenliebe", 1799 [voice and piano], from [Sechs] Lieder für das Klavier oder Piano-Forte, 5te Sammlung, no. 6, Offenbach, Johann André [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Love given, love returned", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Amour donné", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Wederliefde", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 77
If I knew that you showed me signs of your affection, and of what I feel for you, you felt but a tiny fraction; that your greeting in return met my greeting halfway even and your lips did likewise yearn to return my kisses given, then, o heavens, without thought would my heart be brightly flaming! Life and limb be not for nought at disposal of your claiming! Favour shown is favour found, given love will be returning and inflames a fire unbound where just cinders would be burning.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Gottfried August Bürger (1747 - 1794), "Gegenliebe", appears in Lyrische Gedichte, first published 1789
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-28
Line count: 16
Word count: 89