Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Maria ging aus wandern, so fern ins fremde Land, bis sie Gott den Herren fand. Sie hat ihn schon gefunden wohl vor des Herodes Haus, er sah so betrüblich aus. Das Kreuz, das musst' er tragen nach Jerusalem vor die Stadt, wo er gemartet ward. Was trug er auf seinem Haupte? Ein' scharfe Dornenkron'; das Kreuz, das trägt er schon. Daran soll man bedenken, ein jeder jung or alt, dass das Himmelreich leidet Gewalt!
About the headline (FAQ)
- from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , appears in Des Knaben Wunderhorn [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Marias Wallfahrt", op. 22 no. 3 (1859), published 1862 [mixed chorus], from Marienlieder, no. 3, Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Marias Wallfahrt", WoO. 32 no. 22 (1858), published 1926 [voice and piano], from Deutsche Volkslieder, no. 22, Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Maria ging aus wandern", WoO. 33 no. 14, published , from Deutsche Volkslieder, no. 14, Berlin, N. Simrock [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Giovanni Duci) , title 1: "Il pellegrinaggio di Maria", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Maria's pilgrimage", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Le pélerinage de Marie", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 74
The holy virgin Mary set off, A long way from home, Until she found God the Lord! She did find him, In front of Herodes' house, And he looked oh so pitiful. He had the cross to bear All the way to the city of Jerusalem, Where he was to be tortured. What was he wearing on his head? A crown of thorns, so sharp, Adding to his burden, the cross. That's what you should never forget, You be young or old, That even the Kingdom of heaven suffers from brute force.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , appears in Des Knaben Wunderhorn
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-09
Line count: 16
Word count: 92