Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Da voi, cari lumi, Dipende il mio stato: Voi siete i miei Numi: Voi siete il mio fato: A vostro talento Mi sento cangiar. Ardir m'inspirate, Se lieti splendete; Se torbidi siete, Mi fate tremar.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 345.
The text appears in Attilio Regolo, atto II, scena V, Aria di Licinio.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Attilio Regolo [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Da voi, cari lumi", 1750, first performed 1750 [ oboes, strings, bass voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Da voi cari lumi", 1752, first performed 1753 [ 2 trumpets, 2 horns, 2 oboes, alto voice, strings ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Giacomo Meyerbeer (1791 - 1864), "Da voi, cari lumi", from Sei canzonette italiane, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "L'incanto degli occhi (Die Macht der Augen)", op. 83 (Drei Lieder von Metastasio) no. 1, D 902 no. 1 (1827), published 1827 [ bass, piano ], second setting; Tobias Haslinger, VN 5061, Wien [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "L'incanto degli occhi", D 990E (1816?), published 1979 [ soprano ], first setting; fragment (realized by Reinhard van Hoorickx) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Thomas Dawkins) , "On you, fair stars", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (David Le Marrec) , "De vous, chers astres", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "Die Macht der Augen"
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 35
De vous, chers astres, dépend mon sort ; vous êtes mes dieux, vous êtes mon destin : à votre aspect je vais changeant. Vous m'inspirez courage, quand vous brillez joyeux ; quand vous êtes assombris, vous me faites trembler.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2008 by David Le Marrec, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
David Le Marrec.  Contact: davidlemarrec (AT) online (DOT) frIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Attilio Regolo
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-19
Line count: 10
Word count: 39