Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Liebe schwärmt auf allen Wegen; Treue wohnt für sich allein. Liebe kommt euch rasch entgegen; Aufgesucht will Treue seyn.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Goethe's Werke, Vollständige Ausgabe lezter Hand, Zehnter Band, Stuttgart und Tübingen, in der J.G.Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1827, page 217.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), written 1787/88, appears in Claudine von Villa Bella [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Friedrich, Freiherr von Dalberg (1760 - 1812), "Liebe", c1789/90 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Vincenzo Righini (1756 - 1812), "Liebe schwärmt auf allen Wegen" [ voice and piano ], from Sechs deutsche Lieder, zwey davon mit Variazionen am Forte Piano zu singen von Vincent Righini, Königl. Preussischen Capellmeister, no. 5, Hamburg: Bey John. Augt. Böhme [sung text not yet checked]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Liebe schwärmt auf allen Wegen", D 239 no. 6 (1815), published 1893 [ soprano and piano or orchestra ], from operetta Claudine von Villa Bella, no. 6, Ariette der Claudine [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Liefde zwerft op alle wegen", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (T. P. (Peter) Perrin) , "Passion throngs all lanes and byways", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , "Love roams wild", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "L'amour voltige sur tous les chemins", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GRE Greek (Ελληνικά) [singable] (Christakis Poumbouris) , "Η αγάπη", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "L'amore se ne va dappertutto", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Lewis Grenville) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-06-19 02:29:02
Line count: 4
Word count: 19
Love roams wild on every highway True fidelity dwells alone - Love flies frantically to find you Honest loyalty's scarcely known.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Shula Keller, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), written 1787/88, appears in Claudine von Villa Bella
Text added to the website: 2008-03-06 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:38
Line count: 4
Word count: 21