Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich ruhe still im hohen grünen Gras Und sende lange meinen Blick nach oben, Von Grillen rings umschwirrt ohn Unterlaß, Von Himmelsbläue wundersam umwoben. [Und schönen weiße]1 Wolken ziehn dahin Durchs tiefe Blau, wie schöne stille Träume; Mir ist, als ob ich längst gestorben bin Und ziehe selig mit durch ew'ge Räume.
1 Brahms, Ives: "Die schönen weißen"
- by Hermann Allmers (1821 - 1902), Bremen, first published 1860 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Feldeinsamkeit", op. 86 (Sechs Lieder) no. 2 (1879?) [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Charles Edward Ives (1874 - 1954), "Feldeinsamkeit", 1900, also set in English [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Henry Grafton Chapman (1860 - 1913) CAT DUT FRE FRE ITA SPA ; composed by Charles Edward Ives.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Sílvia Pujalte Piñán) , "Solitud al camp", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Eenzaam in het veld", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Henry Phillips Jr.) , "Field Solitude"
- ENG English (Elisabeth Siekhaus) , "Solitude in a field", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "In summer fields"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Seul dans les champs", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) [singable] (Victor Wilder) , "Solitude champetre"
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Solitudine campestre", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elena María Accinelli) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2003-11-05
Line count: 8
Word count: 52
I rest quietly in the tall green grass And for a long time send my gaze aloft, Surrounded by the unceasing whirr of crickets, Enfolded wondrously by blue sky. The lovely white clouds drift by Through the deep blue, like beautiful, silent dreams; I feel as though I am long dead And drift blissfully along through eternal space.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Elisabeth Siekhaus, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Allmers (1821 - 1902), Bremen, first published 1860
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 58