Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Schatz ist nicht da, Ist weit überm See, Und so oft ich dran denk', Tut mir's Herze so weh! Schön blau ist der See, Und mein Herz tut mir weh, Und mein Herz wird nicht g'sund, Bis mein Schatz wiederkommt.
- from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , found in a slightly different form in Deutsche Volkslieder (Kretzschmer, Zuccalmaglio: Berlin, 1838-40), under the heading  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Sehnsucht", op. 14 (Acht Lieder und Romanzen) no. 8 (1858), published 1861 [voice and piano], Winterthur, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
- by Alfred Kohl (1843 - 1887), "Sehnsucht", op. 5 (Sieben zweistimmigen Lieder mit Pianoforte ad lib.) no. 2, published 1885 [vocal duet with piano ad libitum], Leipzig, Eulenburg [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Longing", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Struggimento", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nostalgie", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Verlangen", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Tnúthán", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 41
Il mio tesoro non sta qui, si trova lontano sul mare, a lui penso così spesso, che il cuore mi fa male! E' bello e azzurro il mare, ma mi fa male il cuore, e mai si potrà risanare, se non ritorna il mio amore.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , found in a slightly different form in Deutsche Volkslieder (Kretzschmer, Zuccalmaglio: Berlin, 1838-40), under the heading
This text was added to the website: 2008-11-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 45