This is my letter to the world, That never wrote to me, - The simple news that nature told, With tender magesty. Her message is committed To hands I cannot see; For love of her, sweet countrymen, Judge tenderly of me!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems of Emily Dickinson, first published 1890 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Donald Grantham (b. 1947), "This is my letter to the world", published 1983 [ SATB chorus a cappella ], from Seven Choral Settings of Poems by Emily Dickinson [sung text not yet checked]
- by David Leisner (b. 1958), "This is my letter to the World", 1986 [ voice and piano or guitar ], from Confiding, no. 10 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Frank Levy , "This is my letter to the world" [ SATB chorus a cappella ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Peter Mennin (1923 - 1983), "This is my letter to the world", published 1979 [ SSA chorus, harp, piano, and percussion ], from Reflections of Emily [sung text not yet checked]
- by Valerie Saalbach (b. 1951), "Love" [ voice and piano ], from Poems of Emily Dickinson, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Walter A. Aue) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 41