Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Liebe sprach zum Gott der Lieder, Sie verlange Sicherheiten, Ehe sie sich ganz ergebe, Denn es wären schlechte Zeiten. Lachend gab der Gott zur Antwort: Ja, die Zeiten sich verändern, Und du sprichst jetzt wie ein alter Wuchrer, welcher leiht auf Pfändern. Ach, ich hab nur eine Leier, Doch sie ist von gutem Golde. Wieviel Küsse willst du borgen Mir darauf, o meine Holde?
- by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), "Solidität", appears in Romanzero, in 2. Zweites Buch, in Lamentationen, no. 14 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by David Leonard Blake (b. 1936), "Solidität", 1981 [high voice and instrumental ensemble (11 instruments)], from From the mattress grave : a cycle of twelve songs to poems by Heine, no. 6. [text not verified]
- by David Leonard Blake (b. 1936), "Solidität", 1978 [voice and piano], from Nine Songs, no. 5. [text not verified]
- by David Leonard Blake (b. 1936), "Solidität", published 1985 [baritone, oboe, and piano], from Five Heine Songs, no. 4. [text not verified]
- by David Leonard Blake (b. 1936), "Solidität", published 1988 [baritone, oboe, and string quartet], from Six Heine Songs, no. 5. [text not verified]
- by Richard Farber (b. 1945), "Solidität", 2014. [voice and piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Palmer) , title 1: "Sound business", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-10-27
Line count: 12
Word count: 64
Venus told the god of lyrics She would want a large donation Prior to complete submission As a way to beat inflation. Chuckling, he replied to Venus: Yes, the times demand some cover, But you talk now like a grizzled Lender rather than a lover. Ah, I've nought here but a lyre, Though the gold is highly graded. How much kissing may I borrow In return, o sweetest lady?
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Peter Palmer, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), "Solidität", appears in Romanzero, in 2. Zweites Buch, in Lamentationen, no. 14
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-10
Line count: 12
Word count: 69