Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wüßt' ich gewiß, daß es mein Liebster hörte, Mit lauter Stimme fing' ich an zu singen. Zu viele Berg' und Thäler sind dazwischen, Und meine Stimme kann [nicht zu ihm]1 dringen. Ach, dränge zu ihm hin mein lauter Schmerz, Zufrieden gäbe sich dies arme Herz!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 44.1 Goetz: "zu ihm nicht"
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 93, first published 1860 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Barth (1850 - 1923), "Wüsst' ich gewiss, dass mein Liebster hörte", op. 12 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1893 [ voice and piano ], Frankfurt a/M., Steyl & Thomas [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hermann (Gustav) Goetz (1840 - 1876), "Wüßt' ich gewiß, daß es mein Liebster hörte", op. 4 no. 1 (1866), published 1869 [ soprano or tenor and piano ], from Rispetti: Sechs Italienische Volksgesänge, no. 1, Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "If I knew for certain that my beloved would hear it", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-01-28
Line count: 6
Word count: 45
If I knew for certain that my beloved would hear it, I would start singing in a loud voice. Too many mountains and valleys are between us, And my voice cannot reach all the way to him. Ah, if my deep pain could but reach him, Then this poor heart of mine would be content!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 93, first published 1860
This text was added to the website: 2020-12-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 55