Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Der Spiegel sagt mir: ich bin schön! Ihr sagt: zu altern sei auch mein Geschick. Vor Gott muß alles ewig stehn, In mir liebt ihn für diesen Augenblick.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Suleika", written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 4. Buch der Betrachtungen -- Tefkir Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Luigi Dallapiccola (1904 - 1975), "Der Spiegel sagt mir: ich bin schön!", 1953 [voice and 3 clarinets], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
- by Arnold Mendelssohn (1855 - 1933), "Suleika spricht" [text not verified]
- by Wilhelm Petersen (1890 - 1957), "Suleika spricht", op. 40 (Goethe-Lieder) no. 8, published 1941. [text verified 1 time]
- by (Olav) Fartein Valen (1887 - 1952), "Suleika", op. 6 no. 3 (1925-7), from Gedichte von Goethe, no. 3. [text not verified]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Suleika spricht", 1930, fragment [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "The mirror tells me that I am fair", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Suleika", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Souleika", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 28
Io sono bella! Me lo dice lo specchio. Pure ricorda che il mio destino è invecchiare. Di fronte a Dio sta ogni cosa in eterno, che in me, in questo breve istante, ti è dato amare.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Suleika", written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 4. Buch der Betrachtungen -- Tefkir Nameh
This text was added to the website: 2010-01-11
Line count: 4
Word count: 36