Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Vöglein in den sonn'gen Tagen, Lüfte blau, die mich verführen! Könnt ich bunte Flügel rühren, Über Berg und Wald sie schlagen. Ach! es spricht des Frühlings Schöne, Und die [Vögel]1 alle singen: Sind [die Farben denn nicht]2 Töne, Und die Töne bunte Schwingen? Vöglein, ja, ich laß das Zagen! Winde sanft die Segel rühren, Und ich lasse mich entführen, Ach! wohin? mag ich nicht fragen.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Mendelssohn-Hensel: "Vöglein"
2 Mendelssohn-Hensel: "denn nicht die Farben"
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben, in Anklänge, no. 1 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Stephan Baekers , "Anklänge I", 1979, from Fünf Eichendorff-Lieder, no. 1. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Elise Breiderhoff, née Frey (1849 - 1940), "Sehnsucht", op. 1 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 5, published 1895 [voice and piano], Berlin, Ries & Erler [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel (1805 - 1847), "Anklänge I", 1841. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Aural Allusions I", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:27
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
Little birds in the sunny days, Blue skies that seduce me! If I could only wield colourful wings, And beat them over mountain and forest. Ah! The beauty of spring speaks, And all the birds are singing: ["]Are not the colours [musical] sounds, And the [musical] sounds colourful wings?["] Birds, yes, I will cease my hesitating! Winds are softly stirring the sails, And I let myself be carried off, Ah! Whither? I do not wish to ask.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben, in Anklänge, no. 1
Text added to the website: 2010-03-24 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:37
Line count: 12
Word count: 77