Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Heil'ge Nacht, du sinkest nieder; Nieder wallen auch die Träume, Wie dein [Licht]1 durch [diese Bäume]2, [Lieblich durch der Menschen]3 Brust; Die belauschen sie mit Lust, Rufen, wenn der Tag erwacht: Kehre wieder [heil'ge]4 Nacht, Holde Träume kehret wieder.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Matthäus Edlen von Collin's nachgelassene Gedichte, ausgewählt und mit einem biographischen Vorworte begleitet von Joseph von Hammer. Zweytes Bändchen. Wien. Gedruckt und im Verlage bey Carl Gerold. 1827, page 149.
Note: Schubert received Collin's poem in handwritten form. It was later published (posthumously) in a slightly different version, with the title Nachtfeyer, together with another version of the same poem, titled Nacht und Träume, which has also been incorporated in Collin's dramatic fragment Fortunats Abfahrt von Cypern; see below.1 Schubert: "Mondlicht"
2 Schubert: "die Räume"
3 Schubert: "Durch der Menschen stille"
4 Schubert: "holde"
- by Matthäus Kasimir von Collin (1779 - 1824), "Nachtfeyer" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Michael Brough (b. 1960), "Nacht und Träume", op. 8 (Elf Lieder) no. 6 (1995-6) [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Emmerich (1836 - 1891), "Nacht und Träume", op. 42 (Fünf Gesänge für gemischte Chor ) no. 5, published 1874 [ SATB chorus a cappella ], Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [sung text not yet checked]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Nacht und Träume", op. 43 (Zwei Lieder) no. 2, D 827 (1822?), published 1825 [sung text checked 1 time]
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CHI Chinese (中文) (Yen-Chiang Che) , "夜與夢", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Nacht en dromen", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (David Gordon) , no title, copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Oíche is brionglóidí", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Notte e sogni", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "Natt og drømmer", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Martin Zubiria) , "Noche y ensueños", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elisa Rapado) , "Noche y sueños", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: David Gordon , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
Hellige natt, nå synker du ned; Ned flyter også drømmene, som ditt måneskinn gjennom verdensrommet gjennom menneskets stille bryst. De lytter til deg med glede; roper - når dagen våkner: Kom tilbake, hellige natt! Vakre drømmer - kom tilbake!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Norwegian (Bokmål) copyright © 2010 by Marianne Beate Kielland, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Matthäus Kasimir von Collin (1779 - 1824), "Nachtfeyer"
This text was added to the website: 2010-10-18
Line count: 8
Word count: 39