Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Всё отнял у меня казнящий Бог, - Здоровье, силу, воли, воздух, сон. Одну тебя при мне оставил Он, Чтоб я Ему ещё молиться мог.
- by Fyodor Ivanovich Tyutchev (1803 - 1873), first published 1873 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sergei Vasil'yevich Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943), "Всё отнял у меня", op. 26 (Пятнадцать романсов = Pjatnadcat' romansov (Fifteen songs)) no. 2 (1906) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Carl Ratner) , "Everything I had", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
The punishing God took everything I had, Health, strength, will, breath, sleep. You alone He left to me So that I might still pray to Him.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2010 by Carl Ratner, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Fyodor Ivanovich Tyutchev (1803 - 1873), first published 1873
This text was added to the website: 2010-10-21
Line count: 4
Word count: 26