Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Auch in der Ferne dir so nah! Und unerwartet kommt die Qual. Da hör ich wieder dich einmal. Auf einmal bist du wieder da!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh, first published 1818 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , title 1: "To Suleika", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "À Souleika", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
Même au loin, tu es si près ! Et de manière inattendue arrive la douleur. Alors je t'entends à nouveau, Et une fois encore tu es là !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh, first published 1818
This text was added to the website: 2010-12-14
Line count: 4
Word count: 28