Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Mais Madame écoutez-moi donc Vous perdez quelque chose - C'est mon coeur pas grand-chose Ramassez-le donc Je l'ai donné je l'ai repris Il fut là-bas dans les tranchées Il est ici j'en ris j'en ris Des belles amours que la mort a fauchées
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, no title, appears in Les attentives, no. 2 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Les attentives II", op. 135 no. 6, from Symphony no. 14, no. 6, also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Mikhail Pavlovich Kudinov (1922 - 1994) CAT ENG ; composed by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Madame, miri!", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Salvador Pila) , "Madame, look!", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-12-19 12:22:43
Line count: 8
Word count: 43
Madame, look! You have lost something. It's my heart -- not much of a thing! So pick it up. I have given it, and I have taken it back. It was down there in the trenches. Now it's here and I laugh at them, I laugh at them, at the beautiful loves scythed down by death.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2011 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, no title, appears in Les attentives, no. 2
Text added to the website: 2011-05-22 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:23
Line count: 8
Word count: 55