Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Seh' ich den Pilgrim, so kann ich mich nie der Tränen enthalten. O, wie beseliget uns Menschen ein falscher Begriff!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Kanon", published 1811. [vocal quartet for 2 descants, tenor, and bass] [text not verified]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Seh' ich den Pilgrim", op. 19b no. 7d (1906) [voice and piano], from Fünf venezianische Epigramme, no. 4, from Lieder aus dem Westöstlichen Diwan von Goethe, no. 7d [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "When I see a pilgrim, I can never . . .", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2004-12-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:11
Line count: 2
Word count: 20
When I see a pilgrim, I can never stop myself from weeping. Oh, how we humans are animated by a misconception!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2011-06-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:24
Line count: 2
Word count: 21