Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Seh' ich den Pilgrim, so kann ich mich nie der Tränen enthalten. O, wie beseliget uns Menschen ein falscher Begriff!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Kanon", published 1811. [vocal quartet for 2 descants, tenor, and bass] [text not verified]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Seh' ich den Pilgrim", op. 19b no. 7d (1906) [voice and piano], from Fünf venezianische Epigramme, no. 4, from Lieder aus dem Westöstlichen Diwan von Goethe, no. 7d [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "When I see a pilgrim, I can never . . .", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-12-20
Line count: 2
Word count: 20
When I see a pilgrim, I can never stop myself from weeping. Oh, how we humans are animated by a misconception!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-01
Line count: 2
Word count: 21