Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
No lloréis, ojuelos, porque no es razón que llore de celos quien mata de amor. Quien puede matar no intente morir, si hace con reír más que con llorar. No lloréis ojuelos, porque no es razón que llore de celos quien mata de amor.
- by Lope Felix de Vega Carpio (1562 - 1635) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Enrique Granados y Campiña (1867 - 1916), "No lloréis ojuelos", from Canciones amatorias, no. 5 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914) , no title, appears in Spanisches Liederbuch, in 2. Weltliche Lieder, no. 18 ENG ENG FRE FRE ; composed by Hugo Wolf.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Claycomb) , "Don't cry, little eyes", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ne pleurez pas, petits yeux", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Weint nicht, Äugelein", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:17
Line count: 12
Word count: 44
Don't cry, little eyes, Because it isn't right That, crying from jealousy, You kill with love. One who can kill Shouldn't try to die, If one can do more with laughter Instead of crying. Don't cry, little eyes, Because it isn't right That, crying from jealousy, You kill with love!
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2011 by Laura Claycomb, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2011-11-24 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:42
Line count: 12
Word count: 50