Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Besa el aura que gime blandamente las leves ondas que jugando riza; el sol besa a la nube en occidente y de púrpura y oro la matiza; la llama en derredor del tronco ardiente por besar a otra llama se desliza; y hasta el sauce, inclinándose a su peso, al río que le besa vuelve un beso.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, né Gustavo Adolfo Domínguez Bastida (1836 - 1870), no title, appears in Rimas, no. 9 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Isaac Albéniz (1860 - 1909), "IX - Besa el aura que gime blandamente", op. 7 no. 1 (1886) [ voice and piano ], from Rimes de Béquer, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Besa el aura", op. 81 no. 3 (1933), published 1935 [ soprano and piano ], from Tres poemas, no. 3, Madrid: UME [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Claycomb) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jean-Pierre Granger
This text was added to the website: 2009-07-03
Line count: 8
Word count: 57
The gentle breeze that moans gently kisses the light waves that ripple playing; the sun kisses the cloud in the west and tinges it in purple and gold; the flame around the burning trunk, in order to kiss another flame, glides until the willow, bending under its weight to the river that kisses it, returning a kiss.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Besa el aura" = "The gentle breeze"
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2012 by Laura Claycomb, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, né Gustavo Adolfo Domínguez Bastida (1836 - 1870), no title, appears in Rimas, no. 9
This text was added to the website: 2012-09-24
Line count: 8
Word count: 57