Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ohimé, se tanto amate di sentir dir Ohimè, deh perché fate chi dice Ohimè morire? S'io moro un sol potrete languido, e doloroso Ohimè sentire; Ma se, cor mio, [vorrete]1 che vita [habb'io]2 da voi, e voi da me, avrete mille e mille dolci Ohimè.
1 Monteverdi: "volete"
2 Monteverdi: "abbia"
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), from Rime, without number.  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Ohimé! se tanto amate", 1953/4 [soprano, tenor, and SATB chorus a cappella], from Canti amorosi, no. 2, Mainz, Schott [ sung text not verified ]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Ohimè! se tanto amate", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 12, madrigal [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Benedetto Pallavicino (1551 - 1601), "Ohimè! se tanto amate", 1600, from Il sesto libro de madrigali a cinque voci, no. 17. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Barbara Miller) , "Alas, if you love so much", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Hélas ! si vous aimez tant", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
Hélas ! si vous aimez tant entendre « Hélas », alors pourquoi faire que celui qui dit « hélas » meure ? Si je meurs vous pouvez seulement entendre un languide et douloureux « hélas » ; mais si , mon cœur, vous voulez que j'ai la vie de vous, et vous de moi, vous aurez mille et mille doux « hélas ».
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), from Rime, without number.
This text was added to the website: 2013-02-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 63