Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Si vous voulez chanter, il faut croire d'abord! croire en Dieu qui créa le monde et l'harmonie qui d'un de ses rayons allume son genie et se revèle à lui dans le plus humble accord, si vous voulez chanter, il faut croire d'abord, si vous voulez combattre, il faut croire d'abord, il faut que le lutteur affirme la justice, il faut pour le devoir qu'il s'offr' en sacrifice et qu'il soit le plus pur s'il n'est pas le plus fort, si vous voulez combattre, il faut croire d'abord, si vous voulez aimer, il faut croire d'abord, croire d l'âme immortelle aux amours infinies pour la terre et le ciel également bénies croire au serment sacré qui survit à la mort. Si vous voulez aimer il faut croire d'abord.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Eugène Manuel (1823 - 1901), "Viatique", written 1888, appears in Poèmes du foyer et de l'École, Paris, Calmann Lévy, first published 1888 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Cécile Chaminade (1857 - 1944), "Viatique", published 1895 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by (François-Clément) Théodore Dubois (1837 - 1924), "Viatique", published 1909 [ high voice and piano ], from Mélodies , no. 3, Éd. 'Au Ménestrel' Heugel [sung text not yet checked]
- by Jean-Baptiste Faure (1830 - 1914), "Croyance" [ baritone or mezzo-soprano and piano or organ ], from Quatrième recueil de vingt mélodies, no. 11, Édition Heugel 'Au Ménestrel' [sung text not yet checked]
- by Éric-Paul Steker (1898 - 1978), "Viatique", op. 21 (Six Mélodies) no. 6 (1942), published 1963 [ medium voice and piano ], from Mélodies, no. 7, Nice, Éditions Georges Delrieu et Cie. [sung text not yet checked]
- by Bertha Frensel Wegener-Koopman (1874 - 1953), "Viatique", published 1926, from Deux Chansons, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jordyn Elizabeth Beranek) , "Viatique", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 25
Word count: 128
If you want to sing, It is necessary to believe first! To believe in God who created the world and the harmony that one of its rays lights his genius and reveals itself to him in the most humble agreement. If you want to sing, it is necessary to believe first! If you want to fight, it is necessary to believe first, it is necessary that the fighter affirm the justice, it is necessary to offer itself in sacrifice and that it is the most pure if it is not the most strong. If you want to fight, it is necessary to believe first! If you want to love, it is necessary to believe first, To believe in the immortal soul, of infinite love from the earth and from the sky equally blessed to believe in the sacred oath that survives death. If you want to love, It is necessary to believe first!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2013 by Jordyn Elizabeth Beranek, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Eugène Manuel (1823 - 1901), "Viatique", written 1888, appears in Poèmes du foyer et de l'École, Paris, Calmann Lévy, first published 1888
This text was added to the website: 2013-03-25
Line count: 25
Word count: 153