Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Jeg kunde juble for alle Vinde min Glæde ud! Vil man den forstå? Nei, bedst jeg varsomt den lukker inde her hos mig selv i mit Hjertes Vrå. Mit Hjerte brænder, det bæver, banker i Takten, o, til en Jubelsang! Mit Hoved gløder af Vårens Tanker. Hvor vild og lystelig deres Gang. Foran mit Øre det bruser, sjunger som Tonerne fra et Englekor. Med tusind sladrende, søde Tunger, det røber mig, hvad i Fremtid bor. Ak! tør jeg tro det! Jeg vil så gjerne. Hvor Håbet flammer og kaster Skin! Ud fra det tause, det dunkle Fjerne en Stjerne stråler - og det er min!
- by John Olaf Paulsen (1851 - 1924), "Et Håb", written 1876, appears in Mol og Dur [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Edvard Grieg (1843 - 1907), "Et Håb", op. 26 (Fem digt) no. 1 (1876), published 1876 [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , "Hoffnung" ; composed by Anton Eberhardt, Paul Pfitzner.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Nigel Parker) , "Hope", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Un espoir", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , "Ein Hoffen", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 105
I could display for all the winds my joy. Would it be understood? No, rather enclose it here in my self, in the recesses of my heart. My heart burns, trembles, beats to the rhythm of my rejoicing song, My head glows with thoughts of spring, How wild and joyfully they flow! Past my ears they flow and sound like song of angels. A thousand gossiping, sweet tongues revealing the future. Can I dare to believe it, There where hope burns and sheds its skin, From the silent and far off distance A glittering star shines, and it's mine!
- Translation from Danish (Dansk) to English copyright © 2013 by Nigel Parker, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Danish (Dansk) by John Olaf Paulsen (1851 - 1924), "Et Håb", written 1876, appears in Mol og Dur
This text was added to the website: 2013-04-02
Line count: 16
Word count: 99