Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Aus dem dunklen Tor Wallt kein Zug von Mücklein; Horch! daraus empor Schallt Trompeterstücklein, Platz für die schönen Husaren! Milchmädchen bei Seite! Drückt euch ans Brückengeländer! Es ziehn in die Weite Lustige Knaben. Fremde! wie das Hengstlein Den frohen Lauf tanzt, Wie sein dickes Wänstlein Der Hauptmann aufpflanzt. Seien wir munter und denken wir nicht An den weißen Stein, Der ihr Füßelein trug, Wenn am Brunnen die Liebste Stand bei der Freundin. Hei! vielleicht ein Windstoß Am Brunnen wirbelt, Daß, der sonst gelind floß, Stäubt und verzwirbelt, Tröste dich, Herzallerliebste! Die bausigen Backen Wird dein Husärlein Dem Gotte der Winde zerhacken!
- by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Husarenabzug" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Husarenabzug", op. 125 no. 5 (1850), published 1853 [ voice and piano ], from Heitere Gesänge für Singstimme und Klavier, no. 5, Magdeburg, Heinrichshofen's Verlag [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "La partença dels hússars", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De aftocht der huzaren", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The departure of the Hussars", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le départ des hussards", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "La sfilata degli ussari", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 26
Word count: 101
From the dark gate Surges forth a stream that is not mosquitoes; Hearken! From it Snatches of trumpet music arise, Make way for the handsome Hussars! Milkmaids, move to the side! Press yourself against the railings of the bridge! Heading off [to war] Are the merry lads. Foreign parts! how the little stallion Dances merrily along his way, How the captain plants His fat little paunch [atop the horse]! Let us be jaunty and let us not think Of the white stone That supported her foot, When at the well the dearest one Stood with her friend. Ha! perhaps a gust of wind Whirls about the well, So that the water that usually flowed gently, Is made dusty and boisterous, Take comfort, most beloved of my heart! Your little Hussar Will slash to bits the chubby cheeks Of the god of the winds!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Husarenabzug"
This text was added to the website: 2013-06-05
Line count: 26
Word count: 143