Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Lieber Morgenstern, Lieber Abendstern, Ihr scheint zwei Und seid eins. Ob der Tag beginnt, Ob die Nacht beginnt, Findet euer Schein In uns zweien die Liebe wach. Lieber Abendstern, Lieber Morgenstern, Hilf uns Tag für Tag Eins sein, bis die letzte Nacht uns eint.
- by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Zweier Seelen Lied", appears in Weib und Welt [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Paul Hermann Franz Graener (1872 - 1944), "Zweier Seelen Lied", op. 45 (Drei Lieder) no. 2, published 1915. [text not verified]
- by Hermann Suter (1870 - 1926), "Zweier Seelen Lied", op. 15 (4 Duette für Alt und Bass mit Klavier) no. 1. [text not verified]
- by Richard Trunk (1879 - 1968), "Zweier Seelen Lied", op. 76 no. 3, published 1963. [text verified 1 time]
- by Ernest Vietor (fl. 1905-1930), "Zweier Seelen Lied", op. 16 (Neun Lieder) no. 6 (1937-8). [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Song of two souls", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 44
Dear Morning Star, Dear Evening Star, You shine as two And are one. Whether day begins, Whether night begins, Your glow finds Love awake in the two of us. Dear Morning Star, Dear Evening Star, Help us day by day To be one, until the last night unifies us.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Zweier Seelen Lied", appears in Weib und Welt
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-05
Line count: 12
Word count: 49