Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das Meer ist für die Fischer auf der Welt, Die Berge für die Jäger hingestellt, Das Fegefeu'r, die Sünden auszufegen, Die Lieb' erfand man der Verliebten wegen Die Buden sind für Krämervolk gemacht, Die Fenster für ein Stelldichein bei Nacht.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 8.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Ligurisch, no. 14 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jan Karol Gall (1856 - 1912), "Wahre Bestimmung", op. 16 (Sechs italienische Volkslieder für Männerchor) no. 5, published 1893 [ men's chorus with solo vocal quartet ], Leipzig, Leuckart [sung text not yet checked]
- by Joseph Marx (1882 - 1964), "Wofür", 1912 [ medium voice, piano or string quartet or orchestra ], from Italienisches Liederbuch, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Bruno W. Häuptli , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2004-03-29
Line count: 6
Word count: 40
The ocean is for the fishers upon the earth, The mountains have been placed there for the hunters, Purgatory, in order to sweep out sins, Love was discovered because of those who were in love, Guilds were made for the shopkeepers, Windows for a rendezvous by night.
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Wofür" = "Wherefore"
"Wahre Bestimmung" = "True Purpose"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Ligurisch, no. 14
This text was added to the website: 2013-12-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 47