Ἔρος δηὖτέ μ' ὀ λυσιμέλης δόνει, γλυκύπικρον ἀμάχανον ὄρπετον
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Henry Thornton Wharton (1846 - 1895) , no title FRE GER ITA RUS ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) , no title, appears in Stimmen der Völker in Liedern, in 2. Das zweite Buch. Lieder aus dem Süd, in 5. Fragmente griechischer Lieder. Sappho, no. 3 [an adaptation] ENG FRE ITA RUS ; composed by Mathilde von Kralik.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , no title, copyright © ENG FRE GER RUS ; composed by Goffredo Petrassi.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , no title, appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) [an adaptation] ENG FRE GER ITA ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton) , no title
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , no title, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Salvatore Quasimodo) , no title, copyright ©
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-29
Line count: 2
Word count: 9