Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub, Daß der Wald so schattig ist, Das macht die [liebe]1 Maienzeit, Daß so rot das Röslein ist. [Mein's]2 Schatzes Lieb war das Röslein rot, Das blüht am Waldesrain, Und das grüne Laub, und das grüne Laub, [Als wie]3 die Gedanken mein. [Nun]4 ging die [schöne]5 Maienzeit, Und die schöne Liebe zur Ruh', Nun fallen die [Läublein]6 all' herab Und decken das Röslein zu.
Note: the Meyer-Helmund setting is misattributed to Redwitz in the score.
Confirmed with Liederbuch von Otto Roquette, Stuttgart und Tübingen, J. G. Cotta'scher Verlag, 1852, pages 169.
1 Meyer-Helmund: "schöne"
2 Abt, Franz, Meyer-Helmund: "Meines"
3 Abt: "All wie"; Franz, Meyer-Helmund: "Wie all' "
4 Meyer-Helmund: "Nur"
5 Franz, Meyer-Helmund: "liebe"
6 Franz, Meyer-Helmund: "Blättlein"
- sometimes misattributed to Oscar von Redwitz-Schmölz (1823 - 1891)
- by Otto Roquette (1824 - 1896), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub", appears in Liederbuch, first published 1852 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Wilhelm Abt (1819 - 1885), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub", op. 473 no. 1. [duet] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Heinrich Esser (1818 - 1872), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub", op. 46 no. 7, published 1855 [voice and piano], from Lieder-Album. 8 Lieder von O. Roquette, no. 7, Mainz, Schott [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Franz (1815 - 1892), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub", op. 20 (Sechs Gesänge) no. 5, published 1854 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Whistling [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johann Herbeck (1831 - 1877), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub" [men's chorus] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Erik Meyer-Helmund (1861 - 1932), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub", op. 49 (Drei Lieder) no. 2, published 1888 [voice and piano], Hamburg, Rahter [ sung text verified 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Robert Fuchs, F. Hernandez, Friedrich Gustav Jansen, Carl Piutti, Louis Samson, Gustav Schmidt, Gustav Schreck.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The dark green foliage is the cause", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 68
The dark green foliage is the cause Of the forest being so shady; The [dear]1 Maytime is the cause Of the little rose being so red. My darling’s love was the little red rose That blooms on the forested slope, And the green leaves, and the green leaves Were [like]2 my thoughts. [Now]3 the [lovely]4 May-time And the beautiful love have gone to rest, Now the leaves all fall down And cover up the little rose.
1 Meyer-Helmund: "lovely"
2 Abt: "all like"; Franz, Meyer-Helmund: "like all"
3 Meyer-Helmund: "Only"
4 Franz, Meyer-Helmund: "dear"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) misattributed to Oscar von Redwitz-Schmölz (1823 - 1891) and by Otto Roquette (1824 - 1896), "Das macht das dunkelgrüne Laub", appears in Liederbuch, first published 1852
This text was added to the website: 2017-09-16
Line count: 12
Word count: 76