Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Da ich verschlafen lag An Waldes grünem Rand, Geschah ein leiser Schrei im Land, Und da ich mir die Augen rieb, War es schon heller Tag. Vergangen ist mein Traum, Mein schwerer Traum! Die Welt Ist ringsum wohlbestellt Und hat für mich und viele Verlaufene Wanderer Raum. O Tag, du junger Tag! Dich darf ich noch durchmessen, In dir die Zeit vergessen Um mich und alles Schwere, Das mir noch kommen mag.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 150-151.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Morgen", subtitle: "(1909)", written 1909 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Morgen" [ high voice and piano ], from Lieder für eine höhere Singstimme nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 16 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Maximilian Helmschrott (b. 1938), "Morgen", published 1988 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ], from Hesse-Lieder - Romantische Chorlieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Anton Schoendlinger (1919 - 1983), "Morgen", published 1956 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ], from Drei Lieder nach Worten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Schumann (b. 1914), "Morgen " [ baritone and string quartet ], from Drei Gesänge für Bariton und Streichquartett, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Herbert Schweikert (b. 1927), "Morgen", published 1959 [ TTBB chorus a cappella ], from Licht und Trost, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Morning", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Matin", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-19
Line count: 15
Word count: 72
As I lay sleepily At the green edge of a wood, A soft cry happened in the land, And when I rubbed my eyes It was already bright day. My dream is past, My heavy dream! The world Is in good order all around And has room for me And many lost wanderers. Oh day, you young day! I may still stride through you, In you forget the time Around me and everything burdensome That I might yet encounter.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Morgen", subtitle: "(1909)", written 1909
This text was added to the website: 2018-02-01
Line count: 15
Word count: 79