Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Heimweh und meine Liebe Ist heut in dieser heißen Nacht Süß wie ein Duft von fremden Blumen Zu heißem Leben aufgewacht. Mein Heimweh und meine Liebe Und all mein Glück und Mißgeschick Steht wie ein stummes Lied geschrieben In deinem dunklen Märchenblick. Mein Heimweh und meine Liebe, Der Welt und allem Lärm entflohn, Hat sich in deinen dunklen Augen Erbaut einen heimlichen Königsthron.
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 31.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Dunkle Augen", written 1902 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Kurt Freytag (1886 - ?), "Mein Heimweh", 1926 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Gesänge, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Grabner (1886 - 1969), "Dunkle Augen", 1950/1 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Lukas Haug (b. 1921), "Dunkle Augen", published 1978 [ medium voice and piano ], from Hermann-Hesse-Zyklus, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Dunkle Augen", op. 97 no. 3 (>>1942?), published 1958 [ voice and piano ], from Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Wilhelm Lache , "Dunkle Augen", 1950 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Martha Mündler-Haussmann , "Dunkle Augen", published 1912 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Lieder, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Mein Heimweh und meine Liebe ", op. 7 no. 5 [ high voice and piano ], from Zehn romantische Lieder für mittlere Stimme nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Zintl (1903 - 1987), "Dunkle Augen", <<1950 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Yeux noirs", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "La mia nostalgia e il mio amore", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2007-06-02
Line count: 12
Word count: 64
My homesickness and my love Is today, in this hot night, As sweet as a scent from foreign flowers Awakened to fervent life. My homesickness and my love And all my good and bad fortune Stands like a mute song, written In your dark fairy-tale gaze. My homesickness and my love, Having escaped from the world and all clamour, Has in your dark eyes built itself A secret royal throne.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Mein Heimweh" = "My homesickness"
"Dunkle Augen" = "Dark eyes"
"Mein Heimweh und meine Liebe" = "My homesickness and my love"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Dunkle Augen", written 1902
This text was added to the website: 2018-04-20
Line count: 12
Word count: 70