Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich sagte nicht: ich liebe dich. Ich sagte nur: gib mir die Hand Und dulde mich! Mir schien, du wärest mir verwandt, Du wärst so jung und gut, wie ich... - Ich sagte nicht: ich liebe dich.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 73.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Rücknahme", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Manfred Frischknecht (b. 1937), "Rücknahme", 1953 [ voice and piano ], from Fünf Lieder, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Gál (1890 - 1987), "Rücknahme", 1914 [ voice and piano ], unpublished [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Rudolph Ganz (1877 - 1972), "Rücknahme", op. 11 (Lieder und Gesänge) no. 1, published 1908 [ voice and piano ], missing [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "Rücknahme", op. 2 (Neun Lieder) no. 2, published 1917 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Carl Jungwirth , "Rücknahme", 1921 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Georg Meerwein (b. 1932), "Rücknahme ", 1957 [ baritone and piano ], from Drei Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fritz Müller (1889 - 1949), "Rücknahme ", op. 1 no. 2, published 1912 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Rücknahme ", 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Retraction", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Abandon", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-02-25
Line count: 6
Word count: 37
I did not say: I love. I only said: give me your hand And tolerate me! It seemed to me that you were my kin, You were so young and good, as I... - I did not say: I love you.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Rücknahme", written 1901
This text was added to the website: 2018-10-08
Line count: 6
Word count: 41