Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Meine Jugend war ein Gartenland, Silberbrunnen sprangen in den Matten, Alter Bäume märchenblaue Schatten Kühlten meiner frechen Träume Brand. Dürstend geh ich nun auf heißen Wegen Und verschlossen liegt mein Jugendland, Rosen nicken übern Mauerrand Spöttisch meiner Wanderschaft entgegen. Und indes mir fern und ferner singt Meines kühlen Garten Wipfelrauschen, Muß ich inniger und tiefer lauschen, Wie es schöner noch als damals klingt.
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 204-205.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Jugendgarten", written 1910 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Czelinski (1901 - 1969), "Jugendgarten", 1930 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Günter Habicht (b. 1916), "Jugendgarten" [ baritone and piano ], from Fünf Lieder für Bariton nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by André Jacot (b. 1906), "Jugendgarten", published 1937 [ four-part women's chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Theophil Laitenberger (1903 - 1996), "Jugendgarten ", 1922-4 [ medium voice and piano ], from Drei Lieder für mittlere Stimme zu Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ernst Ludwig Meyer-Olbersleben (1898 - 1991), "Jugendgarten ", 1953 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Niggli (1875 - 1959), "Jugendgarten" [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hildegard Quiel (1888 - 1971), "Jugendgarten ", published 1967 [ voice and piano ], from Hesse-Lieder, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Schmidt-Teich , "Jugendland", 1935-6 [ tenor and orchestra ], from Sechs Gedichte von Hermann Hesse für Tenorstimme mit Orchesterbegleitung, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Horst-Günther Scholz (b. 1908), "Jugendgarten ", published 1955 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Josef von Vintschger (b. 1900), "Jugendgarten ", <<1940 [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Lieder, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Jugendgarten ", 1937 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
My youth was a garden landscape, Silvery fountains played in the meadows, The fairy-tale-blue shadows of old trees Cooled the burning of my audacious dreams. Thirsting, I now walk upon torrid pathways And the land of my youth is barred to me, Roses nod over the edge of the rock wall, [Nod] mockingly toward my wanderings. And while the soughing of the treetops in my cool garden Sings to me from far and farther away, I must listen more fervently and more deeply To how it sounds even more lovely than it did back then.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Jugendgarten" = "Garden of youth"
"Jugendland" = "Land of youth"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Jugendgarten", written 1910
This text was added to the website: 2018-12-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 95