Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Wißt ihr, [wenn]1 mein Kindchen am allerschönsten ist? Wenn ihr süßes Mündchen scherzt und lacht und küßt. Mägdelein, du bist mein, inniglich küß ich dich, Dich erschuf der liebe Himmel einzig nur für mich! Wißt ihr, [wenn]1 mein Liebster am besten mir gefällt? Wenn in seinen Armen er mich umschlungen hält. Schätzelein, du bist mein, inniglich küß ich dich, Dich erschuf der liebe Himmel einzig nur für mich!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 In Peters Edition: "wann"
- by Hugo Conrat (1845 - 1906) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wißt ihr, wenn mein Kindchen am allerschönsten ist?", op. 103 no. 3 (1887/8), published 1888 [ voice or SATB chorus and piano ], from Zigeunerlieder, no. 3, Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gunnar de Frumerie (1908 - 1987), "Wisst ihr, wann", 1927 [ voice and piano ], from Zigeunerlieder, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hans Melcher Svensson (1882 - 1961), "Wißt ihr, wenn mein Kindchen am allerschönsten ist?", 1910, orchestrated 1920 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Zigeunerlieder, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2019
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sapete voi quando è più bella l'amata mia?", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:24
Line count: 8
Word count: 68
Do you know when my beloved is the fairest? When her sweet little mouth jests and laughs and kisses. Maiden, you are mine; dearly I kiss you, Dear heaven created you for me alone! Do you know when my beloved pleases me the best? When he enfolds me in his arms. My treasure, you are mine; dearly I kiss you, Dear heaven created you for me alone!
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
Text added to the website: 2019-12-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-12-02 15:58:19
Line count: 8
Word count: 67