Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Still ist's, wo die Gräber sind Meiner Liebe, Nur bisweilen klagt der Wind Bang und trübe. Seh' die Schattenwelt auf Erden Rings vergeh'n, Fühle alles spurlos werden Und verweh'n.
- by Friedrich Hermann Frey (1839 - 1911), as Martin Greif, "Schattenleben", appears in Lieder [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Schattenleben", 1904-5 [ voice and piano ], from Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 19 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alexander von Fielitz (1860 - 1930), "Schattenleben", op. 67 (Sechs Gedichte für 1 mittlere Stimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 1, published 1897 [ medium voice and piano ], Magdeburg, Heinrichshofen Verlag [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "Life of shadows", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Vie de fantôme", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jeroen Scholten
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-10-27 17:28:18
Line count: 8
Word count: 29
It is silent where the graves are Of my love, Apart from the laments of the wind, Frightened and sad. I see the world of shadows here on Earth Faded all about, And feel that everything is becoming indistinct And drifting away.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Hermann Frey (1839 - 1911), as Martin Greif, "Schattenleben", appears in Lieder
Text added to the website: 2020-02-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-02-02 16:40:41
Line count: 8
Word count: 42