Πλήρης μὲν ἐφαίνετ’ ἀ σελάννα αἰ δ’ ὠς περὶ βῶμον ἐστάθησαν
About the headline (FAQ)
Note: this is often referred to as Sappho Fragment 88 D.
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Raoul Schrott , appears in Die Erfindung der Poesie, first published 1997 ; composed by Andrea Lorenzo Scartazzini.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) ; composed by Luigi Dallapiccola.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Holger Christian Teipel-Jahr) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Salvatore Quasimodo)
- SAN Sanskrit (संस्कृतम्) (Holger Christian Teipel-Jahr) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Holger Christian Teipel-Jahr
This text was added to the website: 2008-01-04
Line count: 2
Word count: 11