Musing on the roaring ocean, Which divides my love and me, [Wearying]1 heaven in warm devotion For his weal where'er he be: Hope and Fear's alternate billow Yielding late to Nature's law, [Whispering]2 spirits round my pillow, Talk of him that 's far awa. Ye whom sorrow never wounded, Ye who never shed a tear, Care-untroubled, joy-surrounded, Gaudy day to you is dear. Gentle night, do thou befriend me! Downy sleep, the curtain draw! Spirits kind, again attend me, Talk of him that 's far awa!
Confirmed with The Complete Poetical Works of Robert Burns, Cambridge edition, Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1897, page 211.1 Bennett: "Wearing" (typo?)
2 Bennett: "Whisp'ring"
- by Robert Burns (1759 - 1796), "Musing on the Roaring Ocean" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Musing on the roaring ocean", WoO. 152 (25 irische Lieder) no. 13, G. 223 no. 13 (1810/3) [ voice, violin, violoncello, piano ] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by William Sterndale Bennett (1816 - 1875), "Musing on the roaring ocean", op. 23 (Sechs Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1842 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Kistner, also set in German (Deutsch) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Wilhelm Christoph Leonhard Gerhard (1780 - 1858) , "Sehnsucht am Strande" CAT CZE DUT ENG ENG FIN FRE SPA ; composed by Carl Krebs, Clara Schumann, née Wieck.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Adolf Wilhelm Ernst von Winterfeld (1824 - 1888) , "Sinnend am bewegten Meere", first published 1860 CZE FRE ; composed by Siegmund von Hausegger.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Wilhelm Christoph Leonhard Gerhard (1780 - 1858) CZE FRE ; composed by William Sterndale Bennett.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CZE Czech (Čeština) (Josef Václav Sládek) , "Sníc u moře bouřlivého"
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Songeant à l'océan mugissant", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Georg Pertz) , "Am Strande"
Researcher for this text: Pierre Mathé [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2003-11-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-06-03 18:20:49
Line count: 16
Word count: 86