Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
В темном аде, под [землею], Тени грешные томятся; Стонут девы, плачут жены, И тоскуют, и крушатся... Всё о том, что не доходят Вести в адские пределы -2 Есть ли небо голубое? Есть ли свет ещё там белый? [И на]3 свете -- церкви божьи И иконы золотые, И как прежде, за станками, Ткут ли девы молодые?
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Tchaikovsky: "zemlej"
2 Tchaikovsky adds the line: "Zheny plachut, stonut: "
3 Tchaikovsky: "Jest' li v"
Note on Transliterations
- by Apollon Nikolayevich Maykov (1821 - 1897), no title, written 1860, appears in Новогреческие песни (Novogrecheskije pesni), no. 30 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893), "Новогреческая песня", op. 16 (Шесть романсов = Shest' romansov (Six romances)) no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Lyle Neff) , "Neo-Greek Song", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 54
In dark hell, under the earth, ghosts of sinners are languishing; maidens are moaning, wives are weeping and pining, and are afflicted... all about the fact that news does not reach into the boundaries of hell -- [the wives are weeping, moaning]: is there a pale-blue sky? Does the wide world still exist there? Are there in the world churches of God and golden icons, and do young maidens weave at looms as before?
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2005 by Lyle Neff, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Apollon Nikolayevich Maykov (1821 - 1897), no title, written 1860, appears in Новогреческие песни (Novogrecheskije pesni), no. 30
This text was added to the website: 2005-05-01
Line count: 12
Word count: 73