Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ach, arme Welt, du trügest mich Ja, das bekenn ich eigentlich, Und kann dich doch nicht meiden. Du falsche Welt, du bist nicht wahr, Dein Schein vergeht, das weiss ich zwar, Met Weh und großem Leiden. Dein Ehr, dein Gut, du armer Welt, Im Tod, in rechten Nöten fehlt, Dein Schatz ist eitel falsches Geld, Dess hielf mir, Herr, zum Frieden.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Das deutsche Kirchenlied in seinen characteristichen Erscheinungen, ed. by Friedrich Spitta, Berlin und Leipzig: G. J. Göschen'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1912, page 14. Appears in I. Mittelalter und Reformationszeit, in Das Mittelalter.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ach, arme Welt", op. 110 no. 2 (1889?) [ chorus ], from Drei Motetten, no. 2, motet [sung text checked 1 time]
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Ai, pobre món", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Wim Reedijk) , "Ach, arme wereld", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Ach, aardse droom", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Ah, poor world", copyright © 2005
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ah, pauvre monde", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Wijtse Rodenburg , Melanie Trumbull
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 61
Ah, poor world, you deceive me - yes, in fact I confess it - and I cannot yet avoid you. You false world, you are not real. Your glint fades, I know it indeed, with woe and great suffering. Your honour and your goodness, you poor world, fail in death and times of true need; your treasure is vain, false money... Help me, Lord, to come to peace with this.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2005 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
This text was added to the website: 2005-12-31
Line count: 10
Word count: 70