Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Hans Adam war ein Erdenkloß Den Gott zum Menschen machte, Doch bracht er aus der Mutter Schoß Noch vieles Ungeschlachte. Die Elohim zur Nas hinein Den besten Geist ihm bliesen, Nun schien er schon was mehr zu sein, Denn er fing an zu niesen. Doch mit Gebien und Glied und Kopf Blieb er ein halber Klumpen, Bis endlich Noah für den Tropf Das Wahre fand, den Humpen. Der Klumpe fühlt sogleich den Schwung, Sobald er sich benetzet, So wie der Teig durch Säuerung Sich in Bewegung setzet. So, Hafis, mag dein holder Sang, Dein heiliges Exempel Uns führen, bei der Gläser Klang, Zu unsres Schöpfers Tempel.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Erschaffen und Beleben", written 1814, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Erschaffen und Beleben", op. 87 no. 2 (1922-35) [ bass, piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Erschaffen und Beleben", 1889, published 1891 [ voice and piano ], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 33, Mainz, Schott [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Crear i donar vida", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Scheppen en bezielen", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Creation and animation", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Luominen ja elämän eväät", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Création et animation", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRL Friulian (Ermes Culos) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Creare e dare vita", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 20
Word count: 106
Adam the lad was a lump of earth that God made into a man, but when he emerged from his mother's womb a lot was still not finished off. God took his nose and into it he blew the best spirit, but it soon became apparent there was more to do because he started to sneeze. With these bones and limbs and head he remained only half a lump, until eventually Noah, to complete the oaf, found the right thing - a bottle. The lump immediately felt the uplifting effect as soon as he encountered this liquid, it was just like dough when yeast sets it in motion. So, Hafiz, may your noble song, your holy example, Lead us, through the clinking of glasses to our creator's temple.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Erschaffen und Beleben", written 1814, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 20
Word count: 128