Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nu løftes Laft og Lofte Til Stjernehvælven blaa, Nu flyver lille Haakon Med Drømmevinger paa. Der er en Stige stillet Fra Jord til Himmel op, Nu stiger lille Haakon Med Englene tiltop. Guds Engle smaa, de vaager For Vuggebarnets Fred, Gud sign' Dig, lille Haakon, Din Moder vaager med!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Henrik Ibsen (1828 - 1906), "En Stue i Kongsgaarden", written 1864, appears in Kongs-Emnerne [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Edvard Grieg (1843 - 1907), "Margretes Vuggesang", op. 15 (Romanser) no. 1 (1864-8), published 1868 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Knut Håkanson (1887 - 1929), "Margarethes vuggesang (ur Ibsens Kongsemnerne)", 1908/14 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by William Archer (1856 - 1924) ; composed by Gustav Holst, Norman Houston O'Neill.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Franz (Friedrich) von Holstein (1826 - 1878) , "Margarethen Wiegenlied" ; composed by Paul Mirsch.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Ludwig Passarge (1825 - 1912) ; composed by Frederick Delius, Julius Rünger.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914) ; composed by Felix Paul Weingartner.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Frederick Corder) , "Margaret's Cradle Song"
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Anna Maria Norberg-Schulz) , "La ninna-nanna di Margrete", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 49
Svanisce la parete, scompare il soffitto, su su verso il Cielo, su su dritto, dritto vola il principe Haakon sulle ali del sogno. Dalla Terra fino al Cielo si alza la scala che il principe Haakon sale fino in cima, con gli angioli custodi dei bimbi piccini. Che Dio ti benedica principe Haakon La tua mamma e custode sempre veglia su di te!
- Translation from Norwegian (Bokmål) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2006 by Anna Maria Norberg-Schulz, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Anna Maria Norberg-Schulz.  Contact: contact: elinorberg (AT) fastwebnet (DOT) itIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Norwegian (Bokmål) by Henrik Ibsen (1828 - 1906), "En Stue i Kongsgaarden", written 1864, appears in Kongs-Emnerne
This text was added to the website: 2006-06-23
Line count: 12
Word count: 63