Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi; Quia per tuam sanctam crucem redemisti mundum1 . Domine, miserere nobis. [Agimus tibi gratias, rex omnipotens beneficiis tuis, qui vivis et regnas per omnia saecula saeclorum. Amen.]2
1 Brahms inserts here: "qui passus es pro nobis"
2 omitted by Brahms.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Johann Gottfried) Heinrich Bellermann (1832 - 1903), "Adoramus te Christe", op. 11 (3 Motetten für 4 Singstimme a capella) no. 2, published 1866 [vocal quartet a cappella], Berlin, Trautwein [text not verified]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Adoramus te, Christe", op. 37 no. 2, published 1866 [SSAA chorus a cappella], from Drei geistliche Chöre für Frauenstimmen (2 Sopran und 2 Alt), no. 2, Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "We adore You, Christ", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title unknown, copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Wij aanbidden U, Christus"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nous t'adorons, Christ", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2005-08-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:14
Line count: 10
Word count: 33
We adore You, Christ, And praise You; Because on Your holy cross You have redeemed the world. Lord, have mercy on us. We give You thanks, King Almighty, for Your benefits, He who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.
- Translation from Latin to English copyright © 2007 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2007-07-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:24
Line count: 10
Word count: 41