Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Sonne scheint nicht mehr So schön, als wie vorher, Der Tag ist nicht so heiter, So liebreich gar nicht mehr. Das Feuer kann man löschen, Die Liebe nicht vergessen, Das Feuer brennt so sehr, Die Liebe noch viel mehr. Mein Herz ist nicht mehr mein, O könnt ich bei dir sein, So wäre mir geholfen Von aller meiner Pein.
About the headline (FAQ)
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Banck (1809 - 1889), "Die Sonne scheint nicht mehr", op. 17 (Sechs Lieder) no. 4. [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Die Sonne scheint nicht mehr", WoO. 33 no. 5, published , from Deutsche Volkslieder, no. 5, Berlin, N. Simrock [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Elise Breiderhoff, née Frey (1849 - 1940), "Die Sonne scheint nicht mehr so schön als wie vorher", published 1897 [vocal trio for female voices, unaccompanied], from Zehn deutsche Volkslieder für 3 weibliche Stimme gesetzt (ohne Begleitung), no. 8, Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by (Karl) Friedrich Curschmann (1805 - 1841), "Die Sonne scheint nicht mehr so schön", op. 13 (Sechs Lieder) no. 6, published 1836 [voice and piano], Berlin, Schlesinger [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Richard Ferdinand Würst (1824 - 1881), "Altes Liebeslied", op. 18 (Sechs Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 6, published 1852 [voice and piano], Berlin, Guttentag [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , "The sun doesn't shine any more", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Le soleil ne brille plus", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il sole più non splende", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 60
The sun doesn't shine any more As beautifully as it did until recently, The day isn't as carefree as before, as lovely any more. Fire can be put out, Love can not be smothered, The fire burns so strongly, My love does even more. My heart no longer belongs to me, Oh, how I wish I could be with thee, Thus relieving me of all my sorrows.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-09
Line count: 12
Word count: 67