Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du bist Orplid, mein Land! Das ferne leuchtet; Vom Meere dampfet dein besonnter Strand Den Nebel, so der Götter Wange feuchtet. Uralte Wasser steigen Verjüngt um deine Hüften, Kind! Vor deiner Gottheit beugen Sich Könige, die deine Wärter sind.
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with Mörike, Eduard, Werke, Herausgegeben von Hannsludwig Geiger, Sonderausgabe der Tempel-Klassiker, Emil Vollmer Verlag, Wiesbaden, p. 65.
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Gesang Weylas" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Matti Borg (b. 1956), "Gesang Weylas", 1997-1998, published 1998 [ mixed chorus a cappella ], from 12 Gedichte von Mörike, no. 9 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Michael Brough (b. 1960), "Gesang Weylas", op. 15 (24 Lieder) no. 1 (>>2000) [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Thomas Donecker , "Gesang Weylas", first performed 1987 [ mixed chorus a cappella ], from opera Die Regentrude [sung text not yet checked]
- by Pater Theo Flury (b. 1955), "Gesang Weylas", first performed 2004 [ tenor and organ ], from Vier Lieder auf Texte von Eduard Mörike, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "Du bist Orplid, mein Land ", op. 12 (Vier Lieder) no. 1, published 1879? [ baritone or mezzo-soprano and piano ], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [sung text not yet checked]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Gesang Weylas", 2003/4, published 2014, first performed 2004 [ tenor and piano ], from Mörike-Lieder für Tenor und Klavier, no. 3, Mainz, London, Berlin, Madrid, New York, Paris, Prague, Tokyo, Toronto: Schott Music [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Gesang Weylas", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 46 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Weyla's song", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le chant de Weyla", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Le chant de Weyla", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Pupillo) , "Canto di Weyla", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
Tu sei Orplid, la mia terra! che splende di lontano; dal mare la tua spiaggia soleggiata evapora nebbia, e così inumidisce la guancia degli Dei. Vetuste acque salgono ringiovanite attorno ai tuoi fianchi, fanciulla! Dinanzi alla tua divinità si inchinano i re, che sono i tuoi guardiani.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2015 by Paolo Pupillo, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2015-10-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 47