Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Unter Blüten des Mais spielt' ich mit ihrer Hand, Koste [liebend]1 mit ihr, schaute mein schwebendes Bild im Auge des Mädchens, Raubt' ihr bebend den ersten Kuß. Zuckend fliegt nun der Kuß, wie ein versengend Feu'r, Mir durch Mark und Gebein. Du, die Unsterblichkeit Durch die Lippen mir sprühte, Wehe, wehe mir Kühlung zu!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Note: this text was published posthumously in an altered form by Johann Heinrich Voss.1 Bachmann (and some editions of Hölty): "liebelnd"
- by Ludwig Heinrich Christoph Hölty (1748 - 1776), written 1776, first published 1778 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Heinrich Voss (1751 - 1826), written 1776, first published 1778 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gottlob Bachmann (1763 - 1840), "Der Kuß", op. 33 no. 3 [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Oden, beym Clavier zu singen, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Der Kuß", op. 19 (Fünf Gedichte) no. 1 (1858), published 1862 [ voice and piano ], Bonn, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Georg Christoph Grossheim (1764 - 1841), "Der Kuß", 1805/6? [sung text not yet checked]
- by Max Kretschmar , "Der Kuß", op. 16 (Drei Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1895 [ voice and piano ], Dessau, Kahle's Verlag [sung text not yet checked]
- by Anton Urspruch (1850 - 1907), "Der Kuss", op. 16 no. 1, published 1882 [ men's chorus (2T3B) ], Hamburg, Cranz [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De kus", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "The kiss", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il bacio", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 54
Sotto i fiori del Maggio giocavo con la mano di lei, e mentre amoreggiavo caramente con lei, e contemplavo la mia immagine sospesa negli occhi della fanciulla, le rubai, tutto tremante, il primo bacio. In un palpito vola ora il primo bacio, come una fiamma Che mi brucia nel sangue e nelle ossa. Tu che con le tue labbra mi hai donato l'immortalità, alita ora in me refrigerio!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Ludwig Heinrich Christoph Hölty (1748 - 1776), written 1776, first published 1778 and by Johann Heinrich Voss (1751 - 1826), written 1776, first published 1778
This text was added to the website: 2008-11-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 68