Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Dans l'air s'en vont les ailes, Par le vent caressées; Mes errantes pensées S'envolent avec elles. Aux cieux pleins d'étincelles, Dans la nue élancées, Dans l'Air s'en vont les ailes Par le vent caressées. Vers des terres nouvelles, Sur les rayons bercées, Vous fuyez, dispersées, Ô blanches colombelles; Dans l'Air s'en vont les ailes!
- by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "L'air", written 1875, appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 10, Paris, Édition Charpentier, first published 1878 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Raoul Bardac (1881 - 1950), "L'air", 1903, published 1905 [ medium voice and piano ], from Cinq Mélodies, no. 4, Éd. E. Demets [sung text not yet checked]
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "L'air", published 1899 [ high voice and piano ], from Douze rondels, no. 4, Paris, Éd. Heugel [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Charles Koechlin (1867 - 1950), "L'air", op. 8 no. 5 (1891-1895), published  [ high voice and piano ], from Rondels 2ème série, no. 5, Éd. E. Baudoux & Cie. [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Frank Van Nimwegen (b. 1961), "L'air", 1995 [ SATB chorus ], from Six images intemporelles, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "The Air", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 13
Word count: 54
In the air wings are flying, Caressed by the wind; My wandering thoughts Fly with them. In the sparkling heavens, Soaring in the clouds, In the air wings are flying, Caressed by the wind. Towards new lands, On cradling sunbeams, You flee, scattered, O white doves; In the air wings are flying!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2019 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "L'air", written 1875, appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 10, Paris, Édition Charpentier, first published 1878
This text was added to the website: 2019-09-02
Line count: 13
Word count: 52