Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Dans l'air s'en vont les ailes, Par le vent caressées; Mes errantes pensées S'envolent avec elles. Aux cieux pleins d'étincelles, Dans la nue élancées, Dans l'Air s'en vont les ailes Par le vent caressées. Vers des terres nouvelles, Sur les rayons bercées, Vous fuyez, dispersées, Ô blanches colombelles; Dans l'Air s'en vont les ailes!
- by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "L'air", appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 10, first published 1878 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Raoul Bardac (1881 - 1950), "L'air", 1903, published 1905 [ medium voice and piano ], from Cinq Mélodies, no. 4, Éd. E. Demets [sung text not yet checked]
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "L'air", from Douze rondels, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Charles Koechlin (1867 - 1950), "L'air", op. 8 (Sept rondels) no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Frank Van Nimwegen (b. 1961), "L'air", 1995 [ SATB chorus ], from Six images intemporelles, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "The Air", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-08-06 21:06:17
Line count: 13
Word count: 54
In the air wings are flying, Caressed by the wind; My wandering thoughts Fly with them. In the sparkling heavens, Soaring in the clouds, In the air wings are flying, Caressed by the wind. Towards new lands, On cradling sunbeams, You flee, scattered, O white doves; In the air wings are flying!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2019 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "L'air", appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 10, first published 1878
Text added to the website: 2019-09-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-09-02 12:07:03
Line count: 13
Word count: 52