Ave verum corpus, natum de Maria Virgine: Vere passum, immolatum in cruce pro homine: Cuius latus perforatum, unda fluxit sanguine: Esto nobis prægustatum [in mortis examine]1. [O Jesu dulcis, o Jesu pie, O Jesu Fili Dei et Mariæ.]2
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Note: the text is often attributed to Pope Innocent VI (?-1362)
1 Elgar, Josquin: "Mortis in examine"
2 omitted by Mozart; Byrd: "O dulcis, O pie, O Jesu, Fili Mariæ, miserere mei. Amen"; Elgar: "O clemens, o pie, o dulcis Jesu, Fili Mariæ"; Josquin: "O dulcis, O pie, O Jesu Fili Virginis Mariæ"
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Michel Bosc (b. 1963), "Ave verum corpus", 2012. [low voice and piano] [text not verified]
- by William Byrd (1542?3? - 1623), "Ave verum corpus" [text verified 1 time]
- by Edward Elgar, Sir (1857 - 1934), "Ave verum corpus" [text verified 1 time]
- by Ferenc Farkas (1905 - 2000), "Ave verum", 1933 [voice, violin ad libitum, and organ], A.F. Publishing [text not verified]
- by Kaj Erik Gustafsson (b. 1942), "Ave, verum corpus", 1990. [chorus] [text verified 1 time]
- by Mervyn, Lord Horder, the Second Baron of Ashford (1910 - 1998), "Ave verum corpus" [SATB chorus and organ] [text not verified]
- by Josquin des Prez (c1440 - 1521), "Ave verum corpus, natum" [three-part chorus] [text verified 1 time]
- by Lodewijk Mortelmans (1868 - 1952), "Ave verum corpus", 1901. [vocal trio with organ ad libitum] [text not verified]
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Ave verum corpus", K. 618 (1791) [ chorus, strings, and organ], motet [text verified 1 time]
- by Georg Wilhelm Rauchenecker (1844 - 1906), "Ave verum corpus", 1903, first performed 1904. [alto, cello, harp, and organ] [text not verified]
- by Jaroslav Stastny-Pokorny (b. 1952), as Peter Graham, "Ave Verum Corpus" [soprano, clarinet and piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Edward Francis Garesché) , title 1: "Hail, true Body, truly born of the Virgin Mary mild"
- FRE French (Français) (Ton Rooijmans) , title 1: "Nous vous saluons, vrai corps du Christ"
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2009-07-26 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:19
Line count: 10
Word count: 38