Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich hab' in deinem Auge den Strahl Der ewigen Liebe gesehen, Ich sah auf deinen Wangen einmal Die Rosen des Himmels [stehen]1. Und wie der Strahl im Aug' erlischt, Und wie die Rosen zerstieben, Ihr Abglanz, ewig neu erfrischt, Ist mir im Herzen geblieben. Und niemals werd' ich die Wangen sehn Und nie in's Auge dir blicken, So werden sie mir in Rosen stehn Und es den Strahl mir schicken.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 C. Schumann: "stehn"
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 1. Erster Strauß. Erwacht, no. 67 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Franz (1815 - 1892), "Ich hab' in deinem Auge", op. 5 (Zwölf Gesänge) no. 6, published 1846 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Whistling [sung text not yet checked]
- by (Albert Maria) Robert Radecke (1830 - 1911), "Ich hab' in deinem Auge", op. 12 no. 2, published 1855 [ voice and piano ], from Vier Lieder aus dem Liebesfrühling, no. 2, Berlin, Bote & Bock [sung text not yet checked]
- by Clara Schumann, née Wieck (1819 - 1896), "Ich hab' in deinem Auge", op. 13 no. 5, published 1844 [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Lieder, no. 5, Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "En els teus ulls ", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Ik zag ooit in jouw ogen", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (David Kenneth Smith) , "I once into your eyes looked", copyright © 1996, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "In your eyes I have seen", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Dans tes yeux je vois", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 70
In your eyes I have seen The beam of eternal love, I once saw upon your cheeks The roses of heaven. And as the beam in your eyes fades, And as the roses scatter, Their reflection, ever refreshed anew, Has remained within my heart. And I shall never see your cheeks And never look into your eyes, But that [your cheeks] will be full of roses for me, And [your eyes] will be sending me the beam of love.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 1. Erster Strauß. Erwacht, no. 67
This text was added to the website: 2020-03-22
Line count: 12
Word count: 79