Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Gebt mir zu trinken! Was in den Sternen steht, kann man nicht ändern, Doch man vergisst es bei der Gläser Blinken!
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Gebt mir zu trinken!", op. 65 no. 4 (1847), published 1849 [ BBB chorus ], from Ritornelle in canonischen Weisen, no. 4, Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Bertram Kottmann , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission ; composed by Gary Bachlund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Doneu-me a beure!", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Geef mij te drinken!", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Datemi da bere!", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Dr. Gerrit den Hartogh
This text was added to the website: 2004-07-03
Line count: 3
Word count: 21
Doneu-me a beure! El que està escrit a les estrelles no es pot canviar, però s’oblida en el guspireig de les copes!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2020 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2020-11-13
Line count: 3
Word count: 22