Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Gebt mir zu trinken! Was in den Sternen steht, kann man nicht ändern, Doch man vergisst es bei der Gläser Blinken!
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Gebt mir zu trinken!", op. 65 no. 4 (1847), published 1849 [BBB chorus], from Ritornelle in canonischen Weisen, no. 4, Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Bertram Kottmann , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission DUT FRE ITA ; composed by Gary Bachlund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Geef mij te drinken!", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Datemi da bere!", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Dr. Gerrit den Hartogh
Text added to the website: 2004-07-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:08
Line count: 3
Word count: 21
Donnez-moi à boire ! Ce qui est écrit dans les étoiles, on ne peut pas le changer, Pourtant on l'oublie quand le verre étincelle !
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2013-12-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:26
Line count: 3
Word count: 25